From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:10:12
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > I'd /not/ really wish to encourage version bump requests "overnight".
3 > That's jumping the gun, and indeed, could encourage "first post" like
4 > behavior.
5 >
6 > What I'd do with such bugs is thank the user, but say next time, please
7 > give me a few days, at least a week (or whatever a dev feels comfortable
8 > with for that package, again, it'll vary) -- if it's /just/ a bump
9 > request.
10
11 That is precisely what was being discussed on the private list which
12 prompted me to finish off this post and publish it.
13
14 One point I was trying to make (as Mike and myself suggested on the
15 private list) is that if you *do* receive a bump request too soon after
16 release, then you ask the user nicely to wait 1 week (or whatever) after
17 release in the future before filing bump requests.
18
19 You should *also* leave the bug open until the ebuild is in portage,
20 then mark the bug as FIXED in the normal way, *and* you thank them by
21 name in the commit message.
22
23 By showing them some basic respect for the fact they were trying to
24 contribute, hopefully they will understand your position better and take
25 up your advice.
26
27 You can argue that that *may* encourage "overnight" bump requests (which
28 certainly isn't the intention), but in practice I think that won't
29 happen too much if you treat the contributor in the proper manner.
30
31 Daniel
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list