From: Bart Verwilst <verwilst@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libGLcore error
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 16:51:56
1 I've added glibc-2.2.5-r4 to portage, which fixes the nvidia-glx bug and a few
2 others..
3
4 See ya
5
6 On Wednesday 05 June 2002 23:23, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
7 || On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 23:00, Lars Pechan wrote:
8 || > Thanks a lot but I would like to think that I have put quite a big
9 || > effort into finding out a) why nvidia's opengl driver doesn't work and
10 || > b) how to get it working. So have others too. I also think I have a
11 || > reasonable understading of what is going on.
12 || >
13 || > For more info on the subject see these threads in the forums:
14 || >
15 || > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3701
16 || > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3963
17 || >
18 || > Also the following url helps in mapping out what the issues are
19 || > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-04/msg00025.html.
20 || >
21 || > Also, the link you are referring to is mentioned in the forum postings.
22 || >
23 || > In short, yes the problem stems from the gcc-team having changed the
24 || > layout of a library by hiding certain symbols. However, it's not clear
25 || > whether this happened for 3.1 or in fact earlier. It did work earlier
26 || > because the linker/binutils didn't care about the .hidden attribute
27 || > anyway and in fact still works under 3.1 depending on what version of
28 || > binutils is used.
29 || >
30 || > To see this happening try building one system with binutils 2.12 and one
31 || > with 2.11 _both_ using gcc-3.1. The nvidia opengl driver will work on
32 || > one but not the other despite both having been compiled with the same
33 || > compiler. That doesn't make it binutils' "fault" but it is clear that
34 || > what version of binutils you use produce different end results.
35 || >
36 || > My concern hasn't been to find someone to put the blame on but to
37 || > understand what is happening and how to fix it. I personally think one
38 || > has to be very careful playing the blame game in an open source
39 || > environment.
40 || >
41 || > I'm not suggesting it's nvidias "fault", if anything I'm grateful for
42 || > them providing good drivers even if they are binaries. However, I am
43 || > suggesting that nvidia have been caught unawares by the change and also
44 || > that their library wouldn't build on my (or any other gcc-3.1 + latest
45 || > binutils) system.
46 || >
47 || > I'm also suggesting a couple of workarounds for those who can't get
48 || > opengl going on their new shiny 3.1-built systems. Some have (I believe)
49 || > been successful in applying the patch to glibc but others haven't and
50 || > for them these workarounds will do the trick.
51 ||
52 || Bad form on my side. Sorry, to quick a reply after just
53 || comming home with a long day at work behind me. No excuse
54 || I know.
55 ||
56 || Btw, I am almost positive it worked fine for gcc-3.0 and
57 || binutils-2.12.
60 Bart Verwilst
61 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
62 Gent, Belgium