From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A wishlist
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:07:16
1 Some followups and suggestions:
2
3 For the documented portage API:
4 I don't mind it being in python, although c/c++ would be nice sometime down
5 the road. This is a must for all the stuff karltk calls Gentool.Configure.
6 At least, I wish for a short summary of the portage.py api. I tried reading
7 it through; there are no comments at all.
8
9 For the ebuild review team:
10 They could have several separate Gentoo installs. Maybe in chroots.
11 One would be empty (emerge system only), good for checking depends. Ebuilds
12 are unmerged once they are confirmed to be working.
13 Another would have all existing ebuilds installed, good for checking
14 conflicts. It would also have all revs installed, good for checking upgrades
15 and different dep version scenarios.
16 We could have [at least] two devs on the team, one for each of these configs,
17 running emerges in the background whenever they aren't using the cpu. Say on
18 non-main machines.
19 Of course, there'll probably also be a more standard testing machine.
20
21 For the ebuild layout (Martin's wish):
22 IMHO one of the best things here, beyond guides and docs, is eclasses. They
23 ensure maximum standardization, and a lot of other fun things too.
27 Dan Armak
28 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
29 Matan, Israel