From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:38:25
1 On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 06:04:10PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:05:20 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > > >Unfortunately the category system is deeply embedded in portage
6 > > > >and the tree, so changing that system is simply not going to
7 > > > >happen, which is why I've stopped whinging about the semantic
8 > > > >inadequacy of the system.
9 > > >
10 > > > Instead of whinging about why the existing categories are bad, why
11 > > > not instead put forward an alternative (preferably with code, but a
12 > > > clear and consistently argued position would be a start) for
13 > > > something better? Otherwise, you *are* going to be ignored ... and
14 > > > with good reason.
15 > >
16 > > Just so we're clear, I probably will wedgie anyone who suggests
17 > > trying to extend the existing tree format with N categories per pkg-
18 > > sounds nice on paper, but it makes lookup a serious pita-
19 > > sys-apps/portage, we'll pretend it's actually located in sys-apps,
20 > > and it's also in category 'pkg-managers'. An atom states
21 > > 'pkg-managers/portage'; how does a pkg manager do a lookup for it?
22 >
23 > Since the names would be aliased, either reference would be fine i.e. a
24 > dep on pkg-managers/portage would be equivalent to sys-apps/portage.
25 >
26 > If it were to be implemented with symlinks (implying one entry is "real"
27 > and the others are aliases) the package manager just needs to
28 > canonicalise any symlinked CPs it comes across.
29 >
30 > Since we can't have symlinks in CVS, there are other ways it can be
31 > done; first thing that pops into my head is an "alias" package entry in
32 > the tree, where instead of ebuilds & files/ etc it would just contain a
33 > file "alias" with the category (and perhaps package name) of the aliased
34 > package.
35 >
36 > I would expect it to be non-trivial to implement in portage, since
37 > portage code has evolved for so long assuming that a package is in one
38 > category - I'm not saying portage code is bad, I'm just saying that
39 > much of it may have been implemented under that assumption and breaking
40 > it means testing lots of stuff.
41 >
42 > > Has to walk the entire tree... so if N category per pkg is going to
43 > > be proposed, need to preserve the fast lookup that's there now.
44 >
45 > I don't think the above ideas cause any substantial change to the
46 > amount of processing required.
47 >
48 > An advantage to this approach is that package moves just become aliases
49 > - existing stuff doesn't break yet you get the new categorisation as
50 > well.
51
52 A disadvantage being that without a tree, your graph is broken
53 (aliases live in the tree); this includes using strictly a bintree
54 (remote or otherwise).
55
56 Big disadvantage, hence why that approach was ignored last time it was
57 brought up.
58 ~harring