From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:13:26
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:50:34 +1200 Kent Fredric wrote:
4 > On 17 April 2015 at 02:22, Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Are you maintaining an overlay listed in Layman? If not then it's pretty
7 > > obvious that
8 > > you're just trolling the mailing list and wasting a lot of folk's time...
12 > I'm not sure that's the case. Its easy enough to maintain an overlay. Its
13 > easy enough to get yourself into the primary permission bits to be major
14 > contributor to an overlay listed in layman.
15 >
16 > But that doesn't really make you a useful gentoo developer, its just a
17 > stepping stone.
18 >
19 > The barrier to entry to making useful changes to the CVS tree is presently
20 > several orders of magnitude more daunting than contributing to an overlay.
21
22 Nevertheless it is quite doable. And from my personal experience it
23 is definitely worth it. Before becoming a dev I had my own overlay
24 in layman for years. Training gives you a much deeper understanding
25 of both development process and community relations, this is like an
26 evolution to another step.
27
28 As for overlays, their function is important, but should not be
29 overestimated. In my vision main function of overlays is sandboxing.
30 Sandboxing in many aspects: for either packages too new or immature
31 to be added to the main tree; or for contributions from interested
32 users who are still not devs; or, perhaps, for packages with too
33 small target audience to care enough to put them to the tree.
34
35 I don't believe in talks about "high quality overlays". All
36 overlays I ever tried have lesser quality than the main tree,
37 though some are a bit lesser, while others are horrible. Of course
38 there may be exceptions, but I know none.
39
40 Best regards,
41 Andrew Savchenko