From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Response to a "friendly note" about changing bug reports
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:46:55
1 On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 7/08/2013 22:41, hasufell wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You are a bug wrangler and should have the
5 >> authority to mess with anything in bugzilla.
6 >
7 > Don't forget that anybody can start a project, even if it conflicts with
8 > other projects. While Jeroen's experience certainly gives him a more insight
9 > regarding bugzilla issues, making anyone the ultimate authority on anything
10 > does not fit in with our current metastructure.
11
12 Having two bug wrangler projects whose main function ends up being
13 fighting revert wars over subject line formatting and writing policies
14 denouncing the other project is counter-productive.
15
16 If you have strong feelings and want to contribute to how bugs are
17 managed, join the bug wranglers. The bug wranglers project does need
18 to hold elections for leads per the policy you just cited. It is
19 better for people to first try to work together before they just dig
20 in and start fighting each other.
21
22 If things are out of hand ask the Council to step in.
23
24 My two cents - I think that what Jer is doing is mostly a value-add.
25 I wouldn't go changing subject lines to just remove a period, but more
26 substantive edits should be welcome if it improves consistency.
27
28 It might be nice if we could somehow flag such revisions so that
29 emails are either suppressed or marked as trivial edits, so that
30 everybody could filter their bugspam accordingly.
31
32 Don't get me wrong - I like GLEP 39 and the idea of allowing
33 "competing projects." However, the intent of that wasn't really to
34 endorse wars over things that are basically indivisible, like
35 bugzilla. If you wanted to start up your own alternative next-gen
36 bugzilla go ahead, though the distro should probably treat it like an
37 experiment until it is ready to go. OpenRC is an example of where
38 starting over was a big improvement. However, the point is that we
39 didn't have two projects fighting over commits to baselayout-1 - we
40 recognized the opportunities of starting over. Also, starting over
41 simply to avoid the need to cooperate is dumb - it might not be
42 forbidden, but it is dumb. When we start something over it should be
43 because it just makes sense to do it that way.
44
45 Rich