From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:14:53
1 On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:25:53AM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > 1. Virtually all operating systems today ships with some GUI.
3
4 But it's not required to run the OS. Neither of my Gentoo boxes has X, and
5 neither will.
6
7 > Even though I argue for compatibility, I still think it is correct to
8 > not ship XFree86. Mostly because Gentoo would and the OSS world would be
9 > far better of with a more "geekish" and open development of the X11
10 > implementation.
11
12 I think it's correct not to ship XFree86 as things stand, too...but I also
13 think it's unfair as hell to hold the X folks solely responsible for the
14 situation. What we have here are two squabbling children, and most folks are
15 playing favorites. That's nto the way to handle squabbling children.
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list