From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] git basics
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:09:37
1 Ian Stakenvicius:
2 >
3 > It's generally considered safe to push to origin/master a commit from
4 > a temporary local branch?
5
6 Why not?
7
8 Even if you have to rebase/merge, nothing will happen with your unstaged
9 local changes as long as no one has messed with the firefox ebuild in
10 the meantime... and then you have bigger problems.
13 > as I expect there are plenty of people that test ebuilds
14 > straight from CVS right now.
17 I remember people telling me to never do that, but anyway.
21 >> That said... I find that workflow a bit weird. Why is the firefox
22 >> ebuild already committed if it hasn't even been tested?
25 > That's just how i tend to work with git in what little i've been
26 > exposed to: git checkout -b tmpbranch ; develop; commit; test &&
27 > {squash,checkout master,cherry-pick,push} || develop [....]
28 >
29 > It lets me roll back to earlier commits if i want to undo something,
30 > or revisit some code that i discarded, or whatnot... Since committing
31 > != pushing, generally there isn't much harm, and i squash all these
32 > misc commits into one after everything's ready, so it doesn't clutter
33 > the history.
36 Maybe you could check if you can do some of that stuff with git stashes.
37 You can save them with a message indicating what it is about, apply a
38 particular one from the stash (ofc you can have multiple ones), drop
39 others, create branches based on the stash etc.