From: neuron <neuron@×××××××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFCE package names
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:20:35
1 Could create a fake xfce ebuild, that says pick xfce3/xfce4 and create "new" xfce3 ebuild using the old xfce ebuild.
2
3 > On (01/18/04 15:17), purslow@×××××××××.ca wrote:
4 > > XFCE 4 has been out for nrly 6 mth & is proving very satisfactory.
5 > > XFCE 3 is no longer being developed or AFAIK supported.
6 > > however on Gentoo, 'emerge xfce' still gives you XFCE 3.18.3 ,
7 > > while you have to say 'emerge xfce4' to get XFCE 4.0.1 (4.0.3 is latest).
8 > >
9 > > can those responsible please revise the package names (surely no effort) ?
10 >
11 > If you've ever used cvs, which we do for our portage tree, you will know
12 > that moving packages is far more painful than the "no effort" you suppose. Due to the number of packages that make up XFCE, suggesting such a large move would not be taken lightly.
13 >
14 > This has come up before, at which time the answer was this:
15 > xfce.org refers to their newest release as "xfce4" vs xfce.
16 >
17 > I can see logic in both sides of this argument, but hopefully we won't go
18 > back and forth ad naseum on a non-issue. I will consider this further,
19 > and speak w/ the package's maintainer on the issue when he returns.
20 >
21 > > 'xfce' sb XFCE 4.0.n , while 'xfce3' shd get the obsolete XFCE 3.18.3 .
22 > Ideally, both packages would share the same name. Someone wanting xfce 3.x
23 > would have to mask 4.x in /etc/portage/package.mask
24 >
25 > Regards,
26 > --tseng
27 >