From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:31:10
1 On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 14:54 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > > Is it just me, it seems that only sparc/mips devs want that kind of
3 > > change and non none of the x86/amd64 devs...
4 > >
5 > > I still dont see what practical advantage that would bring to x86/amd64
6 > > users or developers?
7 >
8 > If you haven't figured out the reason we are pushing for this sort of
9 > thing yet, it is because x86 is unsupported in Gentoo (if you consider
10 > what all the other arches have to do to be "supported"). As a result,
11 > it causes the quality of the portage tree to suffer. Time and time
12 > again, it has been brought up that x86 should have an arch team, yet
13 > nobody ever acts on it. Well, merging the "two" arches will help solve
14 > this problem.
15
16 So would just making an x86 arch team. It would also be much less of a
17 problem than merging x86 and amd64. How about this? I proclaim and x86
18 arch team now exists. It already has a security liason.
19
20 $ cat /var/mail/alias/arch/x86
21 avenj
22 solar
23 tester
24 port001
25 azarah
26
27 Seems that we even have two of our new Council members on the team.
28 Anybody else want to join the team? Just add yourself to the alias and
29 start paying attention to requests that are submitted to x86@g.o
30 via bugzilla.
31
32 Somehow, I find that infinitely easier to implement than being forced
33 into grouping together two KEYWORDS, that while technically possible to
34 merge, would be a logistical nightmare due to limitations in our current
35 developer pool's knowledge.
38 Chris Gianelloni
40 Games - Developer
41 Gentoo Linux