From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy-dev (an alternative to sunrise?)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 00:22:21
1 On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 11:51 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Robert Cernansky wrote:
3 > > If I have some application that is not included in portage why
4 > > I decide to make an ebuild? Because I hope that then it will be
5 > > accepted and included to portage, so maintained by developers (big
6 > > thanks for this). If I have to take care of package + ebuild +
7 > > dependencies, I'll rather choose not to make an ebulid but compile
8 > > package right from .tar.gz archive.
9 >
10 > Many people disagree with you here, that's why overlays exist. Somebody
11 > wants to use Portage to manage ebuilds that aren't yet in the actual tree.
14 I have to say I agree with Donnie here on this.
15
16 I've been using private ebuilds for certain things that are installed on
17 my work systems that will never be applicable to anyone except for 4
18 people on this planet. Yet I use these because then I'm able to take
19 this simple single file, plonk it into another Gentoo machine and
20 recreate the same installation. Maybe it is just because making ebuilds
21 is now just second nature to me.
22
23 Look at my overlay at the moment, half the stuff there have a less than
24 30% chance of ever making it into the main portage tree. But I still
25 make those ebuilds in the off chance that either (a) I do decide to put
26 them in, or (b) someone else might stumble across them and find it, and
27 (c) there are just things that I cannot test because I don't have the
28 hardware.
29
30 Proxy-dev and sunrise are completely different things. But both are
31 trying to decrease the steps needed to contribute to open source, so in
32 my book, that is a good thing.
33
34 Cheers,
35