From: Thorsten Fischer <frosch@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] 'build' install
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:13:35
1 Hi list,
4 I cross-compiled via the build tarball now, following the installation
5 instructions in INSTALL-BUILD up to the end. Two things came to my mind:
6
7 First, it ends with 'now follow the configure steps in the install
8 guide on www.gentoo.org'. As far as I read the documentation on the
9 site and the files from ibiblio.org, I built my own .tbz2 archive to
10 roast a cd-rom with it and then install it to my laptop. But some
11 users might not be as tremendously bright and clever -- and good-looking,
12 come to speak of it -- as I am and might be lost right at this point.
13 'follow the instructions' should at least include a pointer similar to
14 'from point XX on'.
17 Second, after having built everything, I ran
18
19 tar --numeric-owner -cvjpf gentoo-built-cockteau.tbz2 .
20
21 with cockteau being the name of my laptop. I pressed return, and went
22 away to make some sandwiches for breakfast, expecting this to last for
23 some minutes even on an athlon 800 with 256 megs of ram. But returning
24 20 minutes later, it was still running; checking the output of
25 the log file -- I log most things, mind you -- I noticed that the object
26 files left behind by the compiling process were archived as well as the
27 contents of /usr/portage/distfiles.
28
29 It might be part of a port system to hold copies of the source code
30 needed to build libs, programs and so on, but it is certainly not
31 neccessary to hold _two_ copies -- once as tarballs, once unpacked
32 to the temp dir. And there is absolutely no need to keep over
33 400 megabytes of object files. Browsing through the portage.py script
34 showed me an '--autoclean' option not mentioned in the installation
35 doc. Does it work? How/where to use it?
38 (btw, call me a nit-picking, but doesn't portage.py belong into the
39 site-packages subdir?)
42 ps: if anyone out there has a short and decent german translation for
43 the term 'cross compiling', i would love to hear it =)
46 thorsten
50 thorsten fischer
51
52 <frosch at derfrosch dot de>
53 <tfischer at linux minus magazin dot de>
54
55 groessere mengen hostien sind schwer zu beschaffen