From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming Infra maintenance/downtimes: anon{cvs,svn,git}, archives, bouncer, overlays
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:01:07
1 On 1/19/08, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > My core concern with the SVN http://, was the crappy performance it
3 > provided compared to svn://. The main rsync tree has never been
4 > available for iterative syncing via http://, just had tarball snapshots
5 > and deltas instead.
6
7 If I understand correctly, the performance of svn under apache is
8 better than the svnserver, the same for git... Well... This is only
9 for my experience.
10 In git case, apache is used to transfer files, and it is much better
11 in this than the most available alternatives.
12 In svn case, apache provides the concurrency missing from svnserve.
13
14 > > Also using none secured protocols, exposes users to man-in-the-middle attacks.
15 > The existing http:// had this problem already, it's not a new one.
16 > git:// and svn:// do both have patches around adding support for adding
17 > TLS. This however just adds overhead, I really need to finish the
18 > tree-signing work I was doing, as that protects the content better (MITM
19 > is still possible on SSL without it, just a lot harder as an attacker
20 > has to deal with the SSL stream first).
21
22 Even if tree signing will be available, the developers should work in
23 secured channel... ssh or https... The users will benefit from the
24 signing and not require secured channel.
25
26 Until signing will be available, I think it is very important for us
27 to provide reliable source.
28
29 Regards,
30 Alon Bar-Lev.