From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: eutils addition - preserve_old_lib
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 07:47:05
1 On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 00:13 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 15:26, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
3 > > When the soname of a lib changes between versions of a package, we need
4 > > to do a revdep-rebuild --soname <old lib> to make sure all programs that
5 > > link against the old lib are rebuilt to use the new one. In order to
6 > > not break currently installed programs, it is best for a package to keep
7 > > the old version around until this process is done and the user deletes
8 > > the file.
9 >
10 > Most users will forget to delete the file and have tons of stale, old
11 > libs sitting around on their systems unless revdep-rebuild does it for
12 > them once it rebuilds things to not depend on said lib.
13
14 Right, which is why a mode in-depth solution would be better, but this
15 is really just a quick solution so I don't have to keep copy-pasting
16 this bit of code between ebuilds that otherwise just result in the old
17 lib being deleted leaving a slew of already installed packages broken
18 before the user gets to reemerge them. On a mission critical system,
19 it's better to have a package linked to an old lib until the admin gets
20 around to running revdep-rebuild than it is to have a broken package.
23 Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>