From: Meir Kriheli <meir@×××××××××.il>
To: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage database/struct documents
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:15:00
1 On Thursday 20 June 2002 21:13, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 09:54, Meir Kriheli wrote:
3 > > Is the a document/summary/resource which describes portage's database
4 > > (files used, directories, syntax inside the files) ?
5 > >
6 > > One that not, what happend to the plans to build portage based on
7 > > firebird/tiny-qt ?
8 > >
9 > > I've seen a doc about it in the past, but can't locate it anymore.
10 > > Discontinued ?
11 >
12 > Yes; we won't be adding the high-speed database option until later. Our
13 > immediate priority is to optimize our existing algorithms and techniques
14 > and enhance Portage functionality to provide better QA tools to our
15 > developers. Since this requires continual changes to our sources, it
16 > wouldn't make sense to move to a compiled language at this point either.
17 >
18 > There is no official documentation on the portage db stuff yet, but
19 > there is some that is going to be appearing soon -- the new db api in
20 > Portage 2.0.2 is maturing nicely.
21 >
22 > Best Regards,
23
24 OK, I see. The reasons I've asked this is the in the coming month (I hope so),
25 we're gonna start a binary distro and want to base it on gentoo (all the main
26 developers use it and love it).
27
28 The distro is targeted towards new users and be binary based (tbz2 packages).
29 When and if the users get knowledgeable the can switch to lower level gentoo
30 as is used today without the need to reinstall.
31
32 We need to add i18n capabilities to portage, which includes description of
33 packages in other languages (and more detailed the one that is there now),
34 and the option to search on that description in the native language (not just
35 by package name, but by the description as well).
36
37 We also intend to write to frontends to configure the system and an installer
38 (i18n as well).
39
40 That's the reason I've asked about tiny-qt as well (Unicode/charset conversion
41 handling).
42
43 There are 2 ways to do it:
44
45 (a) write a frontend to emerge (CLI or GUI) which holds it's own database of
46 descriptions (and falls back to emerge -s if no i18n found), downloads the
47 binaries (if not present on the CD) and calls emerge --usepkg to install them
48
49 (b) implement it somehow into the portage DB and enhance emerge/ebuild/qpkg.
50
51 I prefer take option (b) as this will benefit Gentoo as well and bring even
52 more users towards it.
53
54 Option (a) would be messier to implement and no one else will benefit from it.
55
56 I'd love to hear your ideas/flames/suggestions.
57 --
58 Meir Kriheli