From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/term?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:31:08
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote: [Fri Mar 11 2005, 10:36:51PM EST]
2 > > How about making a local USE "xterm" for xorg-x11, then adding it to
3 > > the default list? Then such users can USE=-xterm and they'll be all
4 > > set.
5 >
6 > I've already elaborated on how we provide a complete X implementation as
7 > upstream does. We've just taken the liberty of splitting it out into two
8 > separate ebuilds, one for xterm and one for everything else.
9 >
10 > A terminal emulator is not considered an optional part of a complete X
11 > implementation. I'm willing to deviate from that by saying any emulator
12 > could be acceptable rather than just xterm, but perhaps that was a bad idea.
13
14 virtual/term implies that gnome-terminal and konsole are a replacement
15 for xterm. That is hard to swallow since they can be more easily
16 broken by library snafus.
17
18 Since your goal is to provide as complete an X implementation as
19 upstream, I think that in order to implement virtual/term you would
20 also need to create an "xterm" symlink to the current terminal
21 emulator. That would require making the various virtual/terms
22 conflict with each other... probably not what anybody wants!
23
24 IMHO there are only two ways to solve this:
25
26 1. maintain the complete X distribution, PDEPEND on xterm, ignore
27 the whining, or
28
29 2. create some local USE flags for xorg-x11 that restrict the
30 binaries installed. One USE flag could control installation of
31 xterm, another could prevent misc programs like oclock, xeyes,
32 xbiff, xcalc, xedit, etc.
33
34 Choosing #1 is definitely ok, since there are Gentoo ways of solving
35 the problem, as one astute user mentioned in the bug report
36
37 Regards,
38 Aron
41 Aron Griffis