From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] User and group management via dedicated packages
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 10:15:39
1 On Wed, 2019-05-29 at 10:01 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Wed, 29 May 2019, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > User/group name/identifier collision detection
4 > > ----------------------------------------------
5 > > The user/group packages can install additional files in subdirectories
6 > > of ``/var/lib`` indicating their respective names and identifiers.
7 > > This ensures that if two packages ever happen to collide, the package
8 > > manager's collision detection mechanism will trigger.
9 >
10 > I wonder why that would be needed. It won't catch collisions with users
11 > created by the system administrator. Collisions between packages could
12 > certainly be prevented without littering the file system, e.g., by
13 > scanning ebuilds in that category (by repoman, or CI)?
14
15 To be honest, I had mixed feelings about this. I guess I can remove it,
16 and expect that we'll CI it properly before we phase out the old method.
17
18 > > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.
19 >
20 > s/http/&s/
23 Sounds like vim templates need to be updated.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny