From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:39:11
1 Hi Peter,
2
3 On 2020/12/29 13:29, Peter Stuge wrote:
4 > Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>> I'm sure that there are numerous cases where libressl doesn't work,
6 >>> but that's no reason to dismiss cases where it *does*.
7 >> Are you asking people to put an effort into maintaining something that
8 >> can't be practically installed?
9 > No, I'm rather asking to change the level of commitment.
10 >
11 > I agree completely that it's unreasonable for Gentoo (worse, 1 person!)
12 > to continuosly patch the entire world for libressel.
13 >
14 > I'm asking to stop doing that, yet still enable the choice between
15 > openssl and libressl where that is possible without patches, even
16 > if that's only openntpd and one other package.
17
18 Are you willing to put in the work to allow installing openssl and
19 libressl concurrently on the same system?
20
21 And I raise this, because as others have insinuated, currently it's one
22 or the other, they can't co-exist, and there are a great many number of
23 packages that doesn't work with libressl.  The only real solution then
24 to make libressl viable is to make it co-exist with openssl reliably.
25
26 Of course there are various strategies (or combination of), to mention
27 but a few:
28
29 1.  Use a virtual/??? (but since the APIs aren't compatible despite the
30 libressl promise thereto ...)
31 2.  Install them into different prefixes (eg /usr/lib/openssl +
32 /usr/lib/libressl and have the linker link to a specific version,
33 /usr/include/{openssl,libressl} too).
34 3.  Make ssl USE flag another single-choice USE_EXPAND, posibly by way
35 of openssl.eclass.
36
37 My personal support currently goes towards at the very least masking
38 libressl, but removal unless someone is going to put in the effort
39 towards the above.  Happy to help with patching on my own packages, but
40 without concurrent install of libre+openssl it's a massive workload to
41 test for me, so not happy with current state either.
42
43 +1 for removal given current state, but would be in willing and in
44 support of updating the packages I maintain to assist with libressl
45 support if the eco system can be improved.
46
47 Kind Regards,
48 Jaco