From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] DIGESTS metadata variable for cache validation
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 12:28:55
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 15:27:54 -0800
4 >> Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> Which is offset and more by the massive inconvenience of having to
6 >>>> keep track of and store junk under version control.
7 >>> I think you're making it out to be worse than it really is. Like I
8 >>> said, I think we have a justifiable exception to the rule.
9 >> If you start encouraging this approach, are you prepared to make
10 >> Portage warn extremely noisily if a repository-provided (as opposed to
11 >> user generated) cache entry is found to be stale?
12 >
13 > Sure. Otherwise, it's confusing for the user when dependency
14 > calculations take longer than usual for no apparent reason.
17 It would probably be useful to provide a central rsync infra for
18 overlays where overlay maintainers could subscribe their overlays to and
19 the machine would pull in their VCS and generate the metadata for them.
20
21 Regards,
22 Petteri