From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enable UTF8 per default?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:31:13
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 06:47, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:32 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 28 February 2006 11:58, Patrick Lauer wrote:
4 > > > During that discussion we realized that having utf-8 not enabled by
5 > > > default and no utf8 fonts available by default causes lots of
6 > > > recompilation and reconfiguration.
7 > >
8 > > At the same time, you'll probably hear people bitching about UTF-8 being
9 > > enabled because "it's not needed for me, should be the rest of the world
10 > > to change"....
11 >
12 > It is still optional, just enabled by default :-)
13 > All the people with non-ASCII charsets will have less work, only that we
14 > switch the load from, say, 75% of the users fixing their environment to
15 > 25% of users having to switch.
16
17 hopefully people will fix their packages to respect USE=unicode as to whether
18 they link against libncurses or libncursesw
19 -mike
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list