From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:03:00
1 Richard Hughes wrote:
2
3 > Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 >> To do such mapping we need code (or a "service") that does the mapping
5 >> for us and base of collected data that the service can operate on.  Both
6 >> of these is project "PackageMap"
7 >
8 You might as well use Gentoo's version specification for your internal
9 format, as it's the most comprehensive. The most you need to add is
10 debian epochs.
11
12 > I'm also worried that a package manager has to read in and parse
13 > thousands of small files. Why did you decide to write each project as
14 > a single xml file?
15 >
16 <snip>
17 > I agree with the concept, but not the implementation. All you're
18 > trying to provide is a packagename <-> ID database. XML might be
19 > useful for storing the data, but not for querying.
20 >
21 XML was never meant for data-storage for such record-sets: it was designed
22 for data *interchange* between incompatible database engines, and as a
23 friendlier SGML for user-defined data (which some poor DBA/coder would
24 otherwise end up having to pull in from Excel, in most cases. The cleanup
25 in such cases can take days, depending on how long the executive in-question
26 has kept it as a pet-project;)
27
28 igli.
29 --
30 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)