From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: media-gfx/bootsplash
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:05:31
1 On 7/7/07, Michal Januszewski <spock@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 01:06:07AM +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
3 >
4 > > I think we should have user space splash... As fbsplash does not work
5 >
6 > splashutils is a _userspace_ splash. fbsplash isn't, but then it only
7 > provides the "verbose" mode (background pictures on system consoles) and
8 > there is no way of doing that in userspace (other than implementing the
9 > whole console system in userspace, which has indeed been proposed and
10 > might get done one day).
11
12 I think what important to user is the silent mode where graphical
13 progress can be shown.
14 Maybe run X or something simpler?
17 > > with all video cards and last time I checked the whole framebuffer in
18 >
19 > Which fb driver doesn't it work with?
20
21 i915, even if splash gets working X does not.
22 A lot of issues there.
23
24 Best Regards,
25 Alon Bar-Lev.