From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, licenses <licenses@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Adding 'GPL-2-only', 'GPL-3-only' etc. license variants for better auditing
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 20:58:17
1 >>>>> On Sat, 21 Sep 2019, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > I'd like to propose to employ a more systematic method of resolving this
4 > problem. I would like to add additional explicit 'GPL-n-only' licenses,
5 > and discourage using short 'GPL-n' in favor of them. The end result
6 > would be three licenses per every version/variant, e.g.:
7
8 > GPL-2-only -- version 2 only
9 > GPL-2+ -- version 2 or newer
10 > GPL-2 -- might be either, audit necessary
11
12 To elaborate a bit more on this: "GPL-2" already has that well defined
13 meaning that your proposed "GPL-2-only" has, namely that the package is
14 licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2.
15
16 Presumably, your change would cause a long transition time, in which we
17 would have *three* variants for every GPL version (as well as LGPL,
18 AGPL, FDL), two of them with identical meaning. And after the transition
19 time, we would have "GPL-2-only" instead of "GPL-2", which is not only
20 longer but also not accurate.
21
22 Plus, it would result in paradoxical entries like "|| ( GPL-2-only
23 GPL-3-only )" for a package that can be distributed under GPL versions 2
24 or 3 but no later version.
25
26 If the goal of this exercise is to do an audit of ebuilds labelled as
27 "GPL-2", then a less intrusive approach (which I had already suggested
28 when this issue had last been discussed) would be to add a comment to
29 the LICENSE line, either saying "# GPL-2 only" for packages that have
30 been verified. Or the other way aroung, starting with a comment saying
31 that it is undecided, which would be removed after an audit. This would
32 have the advantage not to confuse users, and have no impact on their
33 ACCEPT_LICENSE settings. (For example, some people exclude AGPL and
34 would have to add entries for AGPL-3-only.)
35
36 Ulrich