From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: please coordinate with the "subsystem maintainers"
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:20:44
1 Hi all,
2
3 While it is true we don't have real subsystem maintainers in Gentoo, I'd
4 like to ask everybody to shoot a request to the team maintaining a
5 general area before adding something that might fall into their
6 development usage.
7
8 In the past year I have witnessed a number of breakages due to adding
9 support for, or entirely new packages, to big subsystem such as Ruby,
10 XFCE, PAM, and so on.
11
12 In the case of Ruby, we've been working hard to make Ruby-NG[1] perform
13 just as fine as RubyGems, but to do so we need to add custom code to the
14 ebuilds, and set up running tests and the like. This also means that
15 dependencies need to be done sometimes in tricky ways; so if you want to
16 add an ebuild for Ruby-related software, please clear it with us first.
17
18 In the case of XFCE, I'll let Samuli talk about that.
19
20 In the case of PAM, I'm now (very slowly) running an audit of what we
21 have in tree [2] and I've found at least two partly-broken modules that
22 have been recently added to the tree. Since I'm maintaining PAM more or
23 less alone right now, and I'm just working on the new pambase code, I'd
24 pretty much like to know and validate ebuilds for new PAM modules and
25 PAM-using software _before_ they hit the tree, as the audit is already
26 complex enough on its own.
27
28 [1] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/tag/rubyng
29 [2] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/10/24/anybody-hiring-me-for-pam
32 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
33 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
34
35 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
36 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/