From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] enable UTF8 per default?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:02:15
1 Hi all,
2
3 at FOSDEM we had a nice discussion about languages, translations etc.
4 Having people from the US (wolf31o2) who never have problems and people
5 from Japan (usata) who always have problems with encodings /
6 charsets / ... was quite interesting.
7
8 During that discussion we realized that having utf-8 not enabled by
9 default and no utf8 fonts available by default causes lots of
10 recompilation and reconfiguration.
11
12 Enabling the unicode useflag in the profiles should help our
13 international users and should not cause any problems. Are there any
14 known bugs / problems this would trigger? Any reasons against that?
15
16 If there are no objections this should be a small but helpful change.
17
18 On a tangent I wonder if pulling in extra fonts as a dependency of X
19 makes sense (useflag controlled, enabled by default) - that way the
20 unicode capabilities are available without any configuration.
21
22 Patrick
23 --
24 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move