From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:08:21
1 On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 10:00 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > I would also like to see that (though maybe with some automated
3 > feedback from users systems as to which packages are installed / how
4 > often they are run). All that the current process ensures is that:
5
6 Any automated system will cause serious problems for the quality of the
7 distribution without several orders of magnitude of more powerful
8 hardware on our side.
9
10 > 1) thousands of packages will never be marked stable
11
12 Honestly, they shouldn't be stable. In fact, likely, many shouldn't be
13 in the tree. We have way too many packages that are used solely by a
14 small group of people sitting around the tree. These would be better
15 served in official overlays, where they can be maintained by the
16 interested parties (including users), rather than in the tree.
17
18 > 2) Everyone running stable who wants some recent packages ends up with
19 > /etc/portage/package.keywords with hundreds of entries
20
21 People don't seem to understand that you cannot have your cake and eat
22 it, too. I have no sympathy for these people.
23
24 If you want *stable* then you're going to have to wait until the package
25 has passed QA and the bugs have been resolved. If you want *new* then
26 you simply have to deal with the bugs.
27
28 People seem to think that there's some magical solution to this. There
29 is no solution other than more people actually *solving* the problems
30 that keep packages from making it to stable. The packages that are
31 complained about the most are invariably large sets of packages, like
32 GNOME or KDE, that have hundreds of dependencies and take quite some
33 time to get into a condition that can be considered "stable" at all.
34
35 If you want things to make it to stable faster, then start supplying
36 patches.
37
38 > 3) Debugging user bugs when users have a mixed x86/~x86 system is a
39 > lot more complicated. Every system ends up being a unique combination
40 > of different packages and versions.
41
42 This isn't even an issue. Every Gentoo system is a unique combination
43 of packages and versions, USE flags, CFLAGS, etc.
44
45 > 4) The user experience sucks - see the forums/wiki... "to install
46 > this great sw you need the latest version of x, which depends on y,z,
47 > so copy paste this huge block in to /etc/portage/package.keywords."...
48 > then 2 weeks later some depend changes, and suddenly emerge -u world
49 > no longer works, and user has more problems to solve.
50
51 Honestly, the number of people out there giving shit advice is part of
52 the problem. Rather than telling people to do this sort of thing, a
53 better solution would be to tell people how they can *help* instead of
54 how they can bypass the system, which ends up with clueless users filing
55 more bugs, which delays the stabilization longer. Every user that
56 someone knowledgeable gets to use something they don't understand, is a
57 potential bug report slowing stabilization even more.
58
59 > The testing is supposed to be for the ebuild, not the package itself,
60 > so there's not much point in holding back packages with simple ebuilds
61 > from being stabilised. And the testing process isn't that extensive
62 > anyway - all it ensures is that the package builds and can be run on
63 > one particular arch testers system. No disrespect to the testers, but
64 > they can't be experts in every particular piece of software. How much
65 > code coverage does a typical ebuild really get when being tested?
66
67 First off, we have a level of expectation of stability to maintain. If
68 all packages were done "right" then 90% of the ~arch packages in the
69 tree would be under package.mask, rather than ~arch. Only packages in
70 ~arch would be ones with no bugs open, to test the ebuild, so that they
71 can become stable. As we all know, this isn't the case. Developers all
72 over the place, including myself, have put in tons of packages that
73 aren't necessarily perfectly stable themselves. We do this because our
74 users demand it. We have reached a critical mass of users, where no
75 matter what we do, somebody is going to bitch and piss and moan because
76 we don't do things the way they would like. There's nothing that we can
77 do about this except decide collectively what the best course of action
78 for our users would be and try to make things as high-quality as
79 possible.
80
81 Automatic stabilization is one of those things that would cause our
82 quality to go to hell. Another thing is this. If you don't like it,
83 fork. You've got the code. You're *more than welcome* to go around
84 making your own overlay/tree and marking whatever rubbish you feel like
85 as stable. There's *nobody* stopping you from doing so. However, many
86 of the Gentoo developers feel a stronger sense of duty to the users, and
87 would prefer not shove a bunch of crap down the pipe onto people's
88 computers. There are a few of the developers that are followers of the
89 "ricer" philosophy, claiming that they don't mind a few bugs here and
90 there. Well, the number of bugs in bugzilla shows that our users simply
91 don't agree.
92
93 > I'd say no bugs, 30 days, passes internal tests, being run by users =>
94 > stablise, for the majority of packages (obviously, there may be some
95 > exceptions...).
96
97 Luckily, you're not making the call. ;]
98
99 The "majority" of packages are also the ones that need more extensive
100 testing. Sure, we could probably stabilize a bunch of the fringe
101 packages that hardly anyone uses and it wouldn't affect anything.
102 Another problem is that we don't *know* what is being run by our users.
103 This is something that the Summer of Code project for a Gentoo Stats
104 project should at least help with, as it will give us an insight into
105 what is actually being used and what isn't.
106
107 Personally, I would love to see Gentoo splinter a bit more. I would
108 love to see lots of packages removed from the tree entirely, and moved
109 out into overlays. I wouldn't mind seeing the tree completely split
110 into the "ricer" and "stable" camps. Let's call them "Gentoo
111 Enterprise" and "Gentoo X-Treme UberEdition" just to keep them
112 separate...
113
114 Seriously, folks. If you think that packages should be available
115 faster, run ~arch. Test the packages. Report successes/failures to the
116 maintainers. File stabilization bugs if your favorite package hasn't
117 had another bug in 30 days and you've been using it. Basically, help
118 out, rather than sitting back and complaining. Complaining helps
119 nobody. Helping out helps everyone, yourself included. We understand
120 that you might not be able to make a commitment, or even want to do so.
121 However, every single bug report that you file *is* helping out... and
122 every little bit helps.
125 Chris Gianelloni
126 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
127 x86 Architecture Team
128 Games - Developer
129 Gentoo Linux