From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLI Officially Deprecated
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 04:27:40
1 On 21:54 Tue 13 Jan , Preston Cody wrote:
2 > A few months ago the Gentoo Release engineering team changed the way
3 > that releases are done to simplfy, automate, and provide more current
4 > release media on a more regular basis. One of the consequences of
5 > this is that the livecds are no-longer being released. This leaves
6 > the installer with no place or function any longer. The installer
7 > developers have all moved on to other projects, leaving GLI in an
8 > unmaintained state. We can no-longer offer support for the 2008.0-r1
9 > LiveCDs for x86 and amd64, though we expect it to work for
10 > those that use it. During this project's five year existence, it has
11 > been both a pride for Gentoo and a source of controversy. The Gentoo
12 > Handbook is still the official installation method for Gentoo. For
13 > those still seeking to do automated gentoo installs, please see the
14 > Quickstart project at http://agaffney.org/quickstart.php
15
16 I think this is the right decision. The installer seemed like a good
17 idea at the time, but in retrospect the concept didn't fit Gentoo. An
18 advanced user can finish an install pretty quickly, and a beginning one
19 is using Gentoo to learn, so they should be doing everything by hand
20 instead of having an opportunity to skip the handbook.
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie
25
26 Donnie Berkholz