From: Cyprien Nicolas <c.nicolas@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:39:36
1 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So let's upgrade to en_US.UTF-8, which is for most users more
5 >> desirable than the current situation. Of course we will still advise
6 >> them to set their desired locales in /etc/locale.gen. But at least
7 >> they will start with a unicode environment, as expected anno 2012.
8 >
9 > As I had pointed out before [1], changing from POSIX to an en_US
10 > locale will have undesirable side effects, like commas as thousands
11 > separators in numbers (because of LC_NUMERIC). Also the defaults of
12 > en_US for LC_MEASUREMENT and LC_PAPER are only useful in the U.S.
13
14 For this very reason by system locale is en_IE.UTF-8. Still English but
15 using Euro Monetary, Metric units, A4 paper, etc.
16
17 It might suit needs for most European installs, but not for everyone.
20 Cyprien / Fulax
21 Gentoo Lisp Project contributor