From: Aaron Held <aaron@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distribution Name
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:41:44
1 > : I thought gentoo was short for Generation 2, what do I know.
2 > :
3 > : I've been wrestling with free/GNU philosophy both at a personal level
4 > : as well as a professional.
5 >
6 > I think this is where the clear distinction between open-source and GNU
7 > philosophies differ.
8 >
9 > Open souce isn't about anti-microsoft. It's about pro-choice.
10
11 If I gave that impression then I apologize, I am not anti-MS in terms of both using thier software and selling it. But I do believe
12 that GNU 'forcing' developers to keep the code open will be better in the long run.
13
14 I also believe in practicing what I preach, so if I am suggesting that Linux can be used as a stable platform for typical employee
15 workstations, then I best be able to use it at some level for my own work.
16
17 I also get annoyed when people go out of thier way to alienate MS software and users, like KWord not being able to export rtf or MS
18 Word. I would rather not let the us vs them mentality infect my search for tools and technologies that allow me to get my job done
19 well.
20
21 -Aaron