From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-java/oracle-{jre,jdk}-bin
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 15:57:00
1 On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:44 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:31:42 PM PDT Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > > On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:35 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > # Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> (17 Apr 2019)
7 > > > # The Oracle JDK License has changed for releases starting April 16, 2019
8 > > > # While it may be fine to use for some usecases it's not comepletely clear
9 > > > # what is considered "personal use" and if we can legally distribute it.
10 > > > # License states:
11 > > > # "You may not:
12 > > > # make the Programs available in any manner to any third party"
13 > >
14 > > I don't agree with your rationale here.
15 > >
16 > > Gentoo does not distribute the JDK due to RESTRICT="fetch mirror" in
17 > > the ebuild, so Oracle's license has no relevance.
18 > >
19 > > Oracle cannot prohibit us from distributing a shell script that moves
20 > > some files around. That liability is on the user who runs it.
21 > >
22 > > We cannot force you to continue maintaining this package, but I think
23 > > we should have a better reason for masking/removing it. If you cannot
24 > > provide one, please just drop this to maintainer-needed.
25 >
26 > I've modified the mask for now, but I still believe we should drop it.
27 > I do not maintain it at all, I only work on openjdk and a bit of icedtea.
28 >
29 > For a while[1] we've been modifying provided jar:
30 >
31 > zip -d jre/lib/rt.jar sun/misc/PostVMInitHook.class || die
32 >
33 > but license[2] states that
34 >
35 > "You may not:
36 > ...
37 > make the Programs available in any manner to any third party
38 > ...
39 > create, modify, or change the behavior of, classes, interfaces, or
40 > subpackages that are in any way identified as "java", "javax", "sun", “oracle”
41 > or similar convention as specified by Oracle in any naming convention
42 > designation.
43 >
44 > "
45 >
46 > Is it even legal?
47
48 That does seem like it might cause some legal problems for users.
49
50 > Java usage tracker will fail due to sandbox during builds.
51 >
52 > while writing this email I found out it's probably possible to disable it with
53 > com.oracle.usagetracker.track.last.usage=false
54 > in
55 > /etc/oracle/java/usagetracker.properties
56 >
57 > need to test it
58
59 If that does not work, a possible alternative would be to install a
60 file in /etc/sandbox.d to add some path to SANDBOX_PREDICT.
61
62 Anyway, this issue does seem like grounds for removal if it is not
63 addressed by somebody.