From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google Code shutdown requires 524 ebuilds to be fixed before end of 2016
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 07:47:27
1 On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 08:38:22 +0100
2 "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 05/11/2016 00:54, Jonas Stein wrote:
5 > > Today we have still 524 ebuilds with SRC_URI=*googlecode* in the tree
6 > > [2] and should get these fixed before end of 2016.
7 > >
8 > > [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_google_code
9 >
10 > The wiki page seems to indicate some sense of urgency. I'm not sure how
11 > much of that is needed.
12 >
13 > Brainstorming mentions just cloning the URLs, but don't existing Gentoo
14 > Mirrors have the same effect? My understanding is fetching will not
15 > break even if original URLs go down.
16
17 Thou shalt not rely on the mirrors! Though mirrors as a temporary
18 solution are acceptable. As long as you don't turn it into 'wrong
19 SRC_URI is fine, the file is on the mirrors'.
20
21 > I'm also not fully convinced by the manpower argument. It seems the same
22 > work needs to be done, one way or another.
23 >
24 > For the parts that can be automated and done in batch, this is indeed
25 > more effective than 500 individual bugs.
26 >
27 > However, I'm not sure if finding the new homepage and download URL can
28 > be that easily automated. In fact, users may do some work for us and
29 > help point to the right page.
30
31 Also, it would be nice not to have the berlios -> sourceforge crap
32 repeated. If software is dead-dead, we should lastrite it or revive it,
33 not point to some dead copy by malware hosting provider.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny
38 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>