From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:14:21
1 On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 10:43:11AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:04, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > I agree; while I'm labeling it ABI, includes both bad soname handling
4 > > and seperate sonames.
5 >
6 > those people should be smacked (for the interest of disclosure, i have
7 > violated the "bad soname" rule for the sake of following upstream)
8 >
9 > > Feel free to point out a 4th option if I'm missing it, but for the
10 > > request, that's what exists afaict; meanwhile, stating that pkgs are
11 > > being stupid, while true, doesn't actually solve the issue :)
12 >
13 > 4) portage maintains a list of ABI SONAMEs in use and does not unmerge the
14 > library until all consumers are gone
15 >
16 > i'm referring to the specific file of course, not anything else in the
17 > package ... so integrating the hack eutils.eclass:preserve_old_lib() into
18 > portage so it isnt a hack (not a knock against the current implementation
19 > here; it's always going to be a hack until portage manages proper unmerging
20 > of the ABI library)
21
22 The reason folks aren't talking about using NEEDED is that NEEDED data
23 is generated _after_ building; getting the info into the resolver
24 up front allows for a helluva lot more options, and makes stuff like
25 ensuring you have all sources required downloaded *prior* actually
26 simple to do, rather then inserting recalculating hacks into the
27 resolver.
28
29 Clarifying the 'recalculating', what you're suggesting is effectivelly
30 unbounded resolution, re-calculating at each step. That route is
31 *very* nasty since you can't gurantee up front the resolution will
32 work, let alone ensuring the bugger doesn't go cyclic.
33 ~harring