From: Chad Huneycutt <chadh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Question about ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:16:04
1 On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 16:05, Phil Brault wrote:
2 > I may plan on rebuilding my system here in a few and I was wondering if
3 > it would be wise to build the entire system using the
4 > ACCPET_KEYWORDS="~x86" setting seeing as how that part of the portage
5 > tree contains more concurrent software. However my main concern is
6 > stability and it being worth it as it takes around 6 hours to build my
7 > system. If anyone wants a sample of my make.conf I can share on request.
8
9 I would say that is a bad idea. While a good number of the ~x86 ebuilds
10 are revision bumps that have not been sufficiently tested, you will find
11 some that won't compile (although it is my opinion that those should be
12 in package.mask), and it would make the installation a real headache if
13 you have to worry about emerge failing every couple of packages.
14
15 I recommend just using x86 packages, and then manually upgrading to ~x86
16 packages if you need it.
19 Chad Huneycutt
20 chadh@g.o
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list