From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global use flags: 3dnowext, mmxext, ssse3, sse4_1, avx, avx2
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:39:24
1 On 12/16/2013 05:44 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Matt Turner posted on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:34:13 -0800 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> sse3: Use the SSE3 instruction set (pni in cpuinfo)
5 >> ssse3: Use the SSSE3 instruction set
6 >
7 > I'd suggest a parenthetical on ssse3 as well, something like:
8 >
9 > ssse3: Use the SSSE3 instruction set (NOT sse3, three s)
10 >
11 > I know that confused me for awhile, and I tend to be reasonably literate
12 > (as a user, anyway) on this sort of thing,
13
14 Why not go all the way?
15
16 "Enable use of the SSSE3 instruction set (NOT sse3). This is needed by
17 projects which contain assembly code or which use certain compiler
18 intrinsics. It is not a replacement for CFLAGS and friends."
19
20 You can make a case for brevity, but how many times do you find yourself
21 (a) reading USE flag descriptions, and (b) thinking they're too long?