From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] article on gentoo linux
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:23:59
1 On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:22:21AM +0200, Thorsten Fischer wrote:
2
3 > I discovered Gentoo Linux a few days ago and find it's port concept
4 > to be very fascinating. As I am a frequent writer for the german
5 > Linux Magazin, I decided to prepare an article about that distribution
6 > for one of the next issues -- after I get the 'build installation'
7 > cross-compiled for my laptop =)
8
9 Wonderful! :)
10
11 > First, I would appreciate anything pointed out that is important to know
12 > about gentoo and that is not covered on the website or the faq. I know
13 > this is quite an unspecific question, but as I do not know what is _not_
14 > in the faq, i can't get more specific ;) User reports would be appreciated
15 > as well, bad ones as well as positive ones, as I would prefer a balanced
16 > view on gentoo.
17
18 It's important for you to know that the "Portage User Guide" is currently
19 out-of-date. We now have a command called emerge which should be used instead
20 of rsync and ebuild, and takes care of automatically resolving dependencies
21 using digraphs and can do other neat things. We should have updated Portage
22 User Guide documentation within a week.
23
24 Right now, everyone is working hard to get everything ready for Gentoo Linux
25 1.0_rc5. When 1.0_rc5 is released, we will also have a full ISO CD image
26 available, in addition to our normal build and system snapshots.
27
28 Let me know if you have any other questions. In the meantime, I'll try to set
29 aside some time to update the Gentoo Linux documentation.
30
31 Thanks for writing an article about Gentoo Linux! :)
32
33 Best Regards,
36 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
37 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org