From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Max Kalika <max@g.o>, Troy Dack <tad@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:41:58
1 Hi Max,
2
3 Looks like we're almost there, doesn't it? ;-)
4
5 On Tuesday 05 August 2003 4:04 am, Max Kalika wrote:
6 > >> The most robust solution would be to create a new group (web?) and make
7 > >> all the webserver users be a part of that group and make these directory
8 > >> group-owned by said group. (Similar to the "mail" group for many
9 > >> mail-related services)
10 > >
11 > > Why is that robust?
12 >
13 > Because we have the one group that we know all webservers are going to run
14 > as (yes yes, the sysadmin can change what group the server runs as, and if
15 > he/she does, then he/she can also change the ownership of the directory).
16 > If we assume that all webservers will run as the same group, then
17 > configuring those apps which need a writeable directory becomes easy
18 > indeed.
19
20 We'd need to get Donnie on board to make this happen.
21
22 I'd just assumed that the webapp-config toolset would automagically take care
23 of this for us (see my earlier post about what assumptions are ;-)
24
25 > > (thinks about this) I'd want to test it to be sure, but I think ${PF}
26 > > would work out okay. Depends whether having the -rX part of the package
27 > > name is really important or not.
28 >
29 > I'd say it is important because -rX releases may have added
30 > functionality/features that some may not want, etc.
31
32 Then let's ask Tad to put ${PF} into the GLEP.
33
34 > >> Otherwise, this seems ok to me and is easy to implement in the eclass.
35 > >
36 > > Good-o. So the two of us (ominously quiet in here ;-) are in agreement
37 > > then? Oh, thought it was too good to be true ;-)
38 >
39 > It could happen!
40
41 Lots of laughter.
42
43 > > Shrugs. I just picked 'public_html' because it's a recognised convention
44 > > (although not the only one I'm sure). 'public' is too generic for my
45 > > liking. 'cgi-bin' *is* a recognised convention, and one we shouldn't
46 > > break.
47 >
48 > I thought those were apache conventions. It really doesn't matter one way
49 > or another. :-)
50
51 Let's stick with 'public_html' and 'cgi-bin' then.
52
53 > checking...still checking...done! It could probably be simplified to
54 > something like the following: (I'm just the nitpick mongrel, aren't I?)
55 >
56 > if [ "`has_version '=net-www/apache-2*'`" -a "`use apache2`" ] ; then
57 > APACHEVER=2
58 > elif [ "`has_version '=net-www/apache-1*'`" ] ; then
59 > APACHEVER=1
60 > else
61 > # no apache version detected
62 > return 1
63 > fi
64
65 According to the description in profiles/use.desc ...
66
67 "apache2 - Chooses Apache2 support when a package supports both Apache1
68 and Apache2"
69
70 With your version, if the user has Apache2 support, but doesn't have 'apache2'
71 in the USE flags, no apache version will be detected. That doesn't seem to
72 match the description in profiles/use.desc.
73
74 > No offense taken of course. Lets just evolve yours overtime to do
75 > everything that's needed because, as you say, it is already in portage. :-)
76
77 Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised (or upset - I'm not the possessive type) if the
78 eclass I've added to portage has to go when we implement this GLEP.
79
80 Last night on IRC, I offered to TaD to code up a new eclass to provide a
81 demonstration implementation of that part of the GLEP. Very earliest I could
82 do this would be sometime next week, as I'm away for a long weekend from
83 Thursday.
84
85 Take care,
86 Stu
87 --
88 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
89 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
90 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
91
92 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
93 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
94 --