From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Off-list: [gentoo-dev] Re: UPower upstream (git master) and 0.99 release -> No sys-power/pm-utils support anymore
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 01:46:28
1 On 04/06/2014 02:24, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2
3 > There is no such thing as a non-systemd profile; a sub directory is a
4 > specialization, that doesn't mean that it parents suddenly become the
5 > opposite of that. No, the parents are just generalizations that aren't
6 > as specific as the sub directory.
7 >
8 > Doing what you've suggested everywhere but in gnome/systemd and
9 > kde/systemd is a recipe to upset everyone whom runs systemd on another
10 > desktop environment than GNOME or KDE; so, that's not a way forward.
11 >
12 > Another option is to create no-systemd sub directories; but such
13 > profiles will be highly controversial, besides helping the exponential
14 > grow of the profiles directories as well as be a non-default profile.
15 >
16 > Mix-ins from Funtoo, anyone?
17
18 p.s. off-list :-)
21 mix-ins? Awesome idea. We should do more of those.
22
23 I don't understand why people are punting this idea of a non-systemd
24 profile, I can see how that could ever work. Profiles *add* stuff or set
25 some defaults, taking things away in a profile is really hard. The only
26 thing it works for is globally setting stuff that can never be used eg,
27 you need to remove all x86 cpu flags from arm
30 Desktop profiles with and without systemd or KDE or Gnome or whatever
31 looks exactly like an inherited class plus interfaces problem. Which is
32 what mix-ins do :-)
33
34 So once again - mixins, an awesome idea
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com