From: Brandon Low <lostlogic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-kernel@g.o, x86-kernel@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] kernel.eclass changes, and kernel ebuilds
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:39:52
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm working on some changes to kernel.eclass for better forward moving
4 support.
5
6 The following are done right now:
7 * Support for kernel > 2.5
8 - Use make mrproper instead of make distclean
9 - Unset ARCH before making anything kernel related
10 - Modify the variables caculations (more on this later)
11 * Add einfo about /etc/modules.autoload.d
12
13 The following wants to be done:
14 * Remove the OKV, KV, and EXTRAVERSION calculations from the eclass, most
15 of these are already handled by the separate kernel ebuilds already, and
16 can be more efficiently calculated OUTSIDE of the eclass, the first step
17 at this point is to move any such calculations to above the "inherit
18 kernel" line of ALL kernel ebuilds, and ADD them to any ebuilds that
19 depend on the eclass to make these calculations.
20 * Make separate kernel-headers.eclass so that we can:
21 * Put the SLOT=${KV} in the eclass
22 * Eliminate ugly bash if's in the header area
23
24 Once all of the above changes are complete, we will need to complete the
25 process of moving all kernel-sources and kernel-header ebuilds to use
26 the kernel and kernel-header eclasses as appropriate.
27
28 For now, please work on moving and adding the variable calculations as
29 mentioned above (always use the simplest method possible to calculate
30 variables, and avoid using non-builtin calls as much as you can), and
31 check that the latest kernel.eclass works with your kernel.
32
33 (Committing the first round of changes to eclass and mm-sources right
34 now, so it'll be on rsync in a while.)
35
36 --Brandon Low