From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE="gui"
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:16:17
1 On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm just wondering if we're jumping the gun a little bit on
3 > IUSE="gui".. yes it'll be nice to have one flag that "just works"
4 > for anyone not caring about the details, but it'll also mean
5 > propagating a slew of REQUIRED_USE=" {X,wayland,gtk,qt4,qt5}? ( gui
6 > )" entries and a lot of extra use-defaults which may or may not
7 > cleanup the sub-profiles of desktop/ ....
8
9 A completely valid concern. Of course, there is no requirement that
10 all this stuff happen overnight.
11
12 > Also, I believe we need to have the conversation about the pros and
13 > cons of IUSE=gui here before the council meeting, yes?
14
15 You can read my original post to -project:
16 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/4776
17
18 I did start it out with my reservation that this probably wouldn't
19 come to a vote. However, I did want to at least toss out a specific
20 proposal so that we have something to throw darts at, vs just going
21 around the room saying "sounds like something that might need some
22 attention."
23
24 This is of course an opportunity to have that conversation, but I
25 recognize that we're starting pretty late considering the timing of
26 the meeting. I didn't really intend to actually push for a vote on
27 this.
28
29 Most likely we'll express thoughts both pro and con, and then take it
30 back to the lists and maybe try to finalize something next month.
31
32 My sense is that this has been going on for a long time though and
33 we're seeing problems over and over. I agree that wayland is still a
34 bit off in the future, but I can see it coming up again there. In the
35 meantime both qt and gtk have run into this. I don't want to do
36 something just to do something, but it seems like my proposal is along
37 the lines of what most have been talking about.
40 Rich