From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: why are we still distributing the portage tree via rsync?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 16:36:15
1 On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 12:22 PM Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:38 AM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > > 4. by default git tends to accumulate history, which can eat up disk
5 > > space. I imagine this could be automatically trimmed if users wanted,
6 > > though during syncing it would at least need to store all the commits
7 > > between the last fetched and next-fetched, and that means fetching
8 > > things that might have been subsequently removed/changed
9 >
10 > This is why I have not switched to git. I have /usr/portage on a
11 > separate 1GB partition (with distfiles and packages stored elsewhere).
12 > The ebuild tree is 600MB with rsync and cannot fit on the partition
13 > with git.
16 git clone https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git . --depth 1
17 ...
18 du -sh .
19 662M .
20
21 So, with a shallow clone it seems comparable.
22
23 The issue is getting git to constantly trim, probably along the lines of:
24 https://stackoverflow.com/a/34829535
27 Rich