From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:48:33
1 Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > Just keep in mind that portage is supposed to be non-interactive and
3 > most users like it that way. (Although the countdown when cleaning out
4 > old packages kinda breaks that idea, but I digress.)
5
6 This must be some definition of the word interactive i'm not aware of.
7 ;) Displaying something on the screen for a user to read is not
8 interaction.
9
10 > So just make sure that the scheme doesn't involve forcing the user to
11 > notice anything during a 'normal' non-interactive emerge in order for it
12 > to be effective. Thats why I keep pushing having a nice GuideXML version
13 > in a central location like http://errata.g.o/ and just having emerge
14 > output a summary and a link (however/at what point/with what mechanism
15 > you decide to actually have portage output it).
16
17 Forcing the user to see it is exactly the point. There are already many
18 sources for news that the user can go to. We don't need another.
19
20 And while the idea of having portage give the user a summary and link is
21 a step in the right direction, it'd be even nicer if the message itself
22 was available without an internet connection (ie. kept in the tree).
23
24 --de.
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list