From: Alexander Zubkov <green@××××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage idea - auto embed user patches
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:35:28
1 Hi!
2 I have some idea on extending portage building system (ebuild?).
3 Sometimes I'm (for example) want to apply custom patch to some package.
4 This patch can do something unusual, that can not be accepted by
5 maintainers and I know this. But I like features in my patch and want it
6 to apply automatically when updating the package. Not to do it like this:
7 $ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 unpack
8 $ cd /var/tmp/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/work/...
9 $ patch -p1 < ~/my-patch-for-some-package
10 $ cd
11 $ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 merge
12
13 It is lot of manual work. The idea is having an file, for example
14 /etc/portage/package.patch with contents like this:
15 =pkg-category/some-package-1* /path/to/my-patch-for-some-package
16
17 Of course, patches could fail in newer versions. But when I'll use that
18 feature - I'll understand why it can be and it'll be more convenient to
19 maintain it.
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list