From: Alexander Zubkov <green@××××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage idea - auto embed user patches
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:35:28
Hi!
I have some idea on extending portage building system (ebuild?).
Sometimes I'm (for example) want to apply custom patch to some package.
This patch can do something unusual, that can not be accepted by
maintainers and I know this. But I like features in my patch and want it
to apply automatically when updating the package. Not to do it like this:
$ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 unpack
$ cd /var/tmp/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/work/...
$ patch -p1 < ~/my-patch-for-some-package
$ cd
$ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 merge

It is lot of manual work. The idea is having an file, for example
/etc/portage/package.patch with contents like this:
=pkg-category/some-package-1*      /path/to/my-patch-for-some-package

Of course, patches could fail in newer versions. But when I'll use that
feature - I'll understand why it can be and it'll be more convenient to
maintain it.