From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package moves as repocopies
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:01:06
1 On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 15:35 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Although this would require a request to someone with shell access to
3 > the CVS box, it would preserve all the history of the moved packages.
4 > The loss of history is (IMO) the _primary_ problem of moving packages.
5
6 I definitely agree. Losing the history really stinks, especially if you
7 have to pull something from the Attic. Not only this, but it affects
8 moves outside of the portage tree, as well. As a good example,
9 livecd-functions.sh was moved from baselayout to livecd-tools. All the
10 history was lost. Luckily, it hadn't changed too much, and the broken
11 part of the script was done by me after the move, so I was able to find
12 it easily, but what if it had been before the move?
15 Chris Gianelloni
17 Games - Developer
18 Gentoo Linux