From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-pms] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:09:09
1 On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:46:14 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Fun fact; peoples usage of labels in exherbo is thus:
4 >
5 > build+run:
6 > set of deps
7 > run:
8 > set of deps/conditionals/etc
9
10 That's largely because there are a lot of former Gentoo developers
11 there who all said "oh, yeah, I forgot we could do it the other way"
12 when this was pointed out...
13
14 > > Specification in terms of rendering has a huge problem, though.
15 > > Remembering the crazy rules Gentoo has for || ( flag? ( ) ), what
16 > > does this do?
17 > >
18 > > || ( dep:build? ( a ) dep:run? ( b ) )
19 >
20 > Honestly, I was waiting for you to bring this up :)
21 >
22 > You're conflating two different things here;
23 > 1) someone being a dumb ass and writing what's effectively a || (
24 > atom) block, just doing so in a manner w/out any reason to do so.
25 >
26 > 2) Your ongoing jihad against || (), specifically the occasionally
27 > valid complaint that build/rdepend different means the resolver can
28 > get stuck in certain pathways when slots are involved, abi, etc.
29 >
30 > Either way, in my proposal, I'm not going to single that out and try
31 > blocking it. The rendered version of it is still stable, albeit if
32 > it's build/run it's unlikely to be desired if there is ABI involved
33 > (for non ABI, specifically self-bootstrapping codebases, I suspect
34 > someone could come up with a valid construct- sed has something
35 > similar if memory serves).
36
37 The rendered version ends up as ( a b ), in effect... It doesn't end up
38 as || ( a (at build time) b (at runtime) ).
39
40 > Which is stupid, but syntactically correct. Nor is this a new issue,
41 > thus I don't particularly agree with your approach of trying to sink
42 > the proposal via an orthogonal problem.
43
44 No, you're introducing a new kind of weirdness for || ( ) here.
45
46 > Either way, via
47 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/unified-dependencies/labels/translated-to-use-deps.txt
48 > , I think it's pretty clear labels in real world usage aren't
49 > bringing anything to the tabel that we wouldn't have via my proposal;
50 > that leaves labels as just a different syntax (perhaps aesthetically
51 > more pleasing at first glance, but the label stacking bit via exheres
52 > analysis is proven to be something people explicitly go out of their
53 > way to protect against; meaning the aesthetics have a mental
54 > model cost).
55
56 It's not "go out of their way to protect against". It's "there's an
57 easy way of making sure everything is composable". Your
58 misappropriation of use flags doesn't have that.
61 Ciaran McCreesh