From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:51:44
1 On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 14:43 -0400, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > So, we're all getting way off topic and discussing reorganizing the
3 > whole enchilada.
4 >
5 > How about we all agree or disagree on the primary point: The Portage
6 > tree doesn't belong in /usr.
7 >
8 > I believe that it does belong under /var/cache/.
9 >
10 > We can go a bit further and make it /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/.
11
12 a little too convoluted. It should be simpler... see example below
16 > That way Layman and friends can all make the move there quite simply
17 > without major infrastructure changes.
18
19 Layman, portage, pkgcore have all been able to have them elsewhere. It
20 won't break anything. It is only a config value change. Coding not
21 required. So it is easy to do that now. We are arguing about the
22 default location
25 > The Portage PMS on it's next release would just do a 'mkdir
26 > /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/ && sync && rm -rf /usr/portage &&
27 > echo "Portage has moved"' on its next 'emerge --sync' while still
28 > looking in both locations for packages.
31 It would be quite easy for simple use cases (the majority of users), to
32 create a migration script that users could use which would read the
33 current config values, then migrate them and update the config values.
34 But that would be entirely optional. If a user wants to keep it at the
35 current location it would not break anything. The only thing that would
36 be required is to set the correct variables in make.conf to override the
37 new defaults to maintain the current locations.
40 > (After looking at overlays, if /usr/portage exists, check there first,
41 > if not found look in /var/cache/gentoo-repos/).
42 >
43 > Other PMSs can then continue to use /usr/portage until they catch up.
44 > It also allows 'emerge --sync' on older versions of the Portage PMS or
45 > whatever the other PMSs use to continue working without breaking
46 > everything.
47 >
48 > We can continue forward with restructuring the tree in later stages,
49 > but we can't move the tree and break compatibility in one go. There
50 > must be stages to the restructuring. The first step is moving it to
51 > the proper top/sub level directory.
54 I fail to see the complexity that you seem to think is involved to
55 accomplish this.
56
57 > So, I'm proposing we use /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/ as the
58 > location of the official tree.
59 >
60 > - Aaron
61
62 to keep everything under one directory like some would prefer...
63
64 I propose we name that dir, "gentoo" simple, to the point.
65
66 then to sum up several other posts.
67
68 /var/{db,cache,}/gentoo/repositories/gentoo
69 /var/{db,cache,}/gentoo/repositories/local
70 /var/{db,cache,}/gentoo/repositories/{overlay of choice}
71 /var/{db,cache,}/gentoo/distfiles
72 /var/{db,cache,}/gentoo/packages
76 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>