From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: gles global USE flag, USE=opengl clarifying
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 09:26:08
1 On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 17:43:59 -0700
2 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > Initially I thought of a global USE=gles2, but during the writing of
5 > > this e-mail, I realized that as USE=opengl doesn't specify a version
6 > > either (e.g. 3.3 or 4.5), so combined with gles3 not really needing
7 > > a separate handling, it'd be more consistent with just USE=gles.
8 > > However I'm rather torn on this - it could just as well be USE=gles2
9 > > instead, which just specifies that it's GLESv2 or later; then it's
10 > > also clear we don't deal with old GLESv1 via this.
11 >
12 > gles2 is much more common than just gles in the tree. There are no
13 > known gles1 applications on desktop Linux, so I'm happy to just remove
14 > the gles1 flag from media-libs/mesa.
15 >
16 > I'd say we go with gles2.
17
18 There hasn't been a new release in years but Neverball's git master
19 supports GLESv1! Even my Vivante-based ARM board can run it with OpenGL
20 though as it only requires 1.4 or something.
23 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
24 Gentoo Linux Developer