From: Ovidiu Ghinet <ovidiu@××××××××××××××××××××××.ro>
To: Wolfram Schlich <lists@×××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/services
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:59:10
1 it is coming form baselayout package..
2
3 i noticed the same thing not that there are lesser port but that there are
4 different names...
8 On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
9
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > the Gentoo /etc/services file is way smaller, than the one from SuSE
13 > and the one from IANA:
14 > --8<--
15 > prometheus etc # wc -l services.* | head -n 3
16 > 362 services.Gentoo
17 > 8103 services.IANA
18 > 5113 services.SuSE
19 > prometheus etc # du -h services.*
20 > 15K services.Gentoo
21 > 330K services.IANA
22 > 207K services.SuSE
23 > prometheus etc #
24 > --8<--
25 >
26 > Where does the Gentoo file come from? Is it self made, is it taken
27 > from some BSD or maybe Debian?
28 > I believe it's a good idea to use such a large /etc/services as the
29 > one from IANA, as it acts as kinda port encyclopedia, at least for
30 > me, sometimes :)
31 >
32 > Something I've also noticed is that there are services names which
33 > differ, like:
34 >
35 > Gentoo: pop-3
36 > IANA: pop3
37 > SuSE: pop3
38 >
39 > Why the heck?! This renders some configuration files unusable for
40 > interchaning in between SuSE and Gentoo machines without manual
41 > interference :-(( Also the IANA AFAIK is the authoritative institution
42 > for assigning service names to ports.
43 >
44 > I've put up all three files at:
45 >
46 > http://wolfram.schlich.org/tmp/gentoo/services.Gentoo
47 > http://wolfram.schlich.org/tmp/gentoo/services.IANA
48 > http://wolfram.schlich.org/tmp/gentoo/services.SuSE
49 >
50 > Why not use the /etc/services from IANA? I'm already doing that... :)
51 > --
52 > Wolfram Schlich; Friedhofstr. 8, D-88069 Tettnang; +49-(0)178-SCHLICH
53 >
54 > --
55 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list