From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 13:28:34
1 On 10 February 2016 at 02:22, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > I can certainly see the benefit here, but wouldn't that still result
3 > in (arguably) unnecessary (re)builds? If implemented well it'd also
4 > result in depcleaning them when they're later unneeded, too, so I
5 > guess it's a wash in that sense.
8 For me, its worth it, because the effort I spend to manually dep-clean
9 use flags I don't need at present is far higher than any
10 automated cost of rebuild will burn me.
11
12 I've even recently started using `--with-bdeps n` in conjunction with
13 --depclean ( because tip, depclean implies --with-bdeps y ), because I
14 don't mind the rebuild cost, and I much more mind the significant
15 dependency graph I have sitting around there not earning its weight.
16
17 And the beauty of this is you woudn't pay a cent in terms of unwanted
18 behaviour from the introduction of this feature unless you explicitly
19 used it.
20
21 You'd have to be intentionally using the lazy-use flags to see the
22 undesired rebuild effect, and if that bothers you, its easy to just
23 transition a soft-use into a hard use, just like if you don't like how
24 depclean nukes a package, you can add it to your world file.
29 Kent
30
31 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL