From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: license group file format
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:34:06
1 On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:18:40 +0200
2 Harald van Dijk <truedfx@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 07:02:36PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > Ok, as there is currently a lot of work going on for GLEP 23
6 > > (licese based visibility filtering aka ACCEPT_LICENSE) the topic of
7 > > license groups came up, in particular the way how they should be
8 > > (technically) defined.
9 > >
10 > > The simplest way is a line based format
11 > > <groupname> <license1> ... <licenseN>
12 > > however this doesn't allow for any addition of metadata (for example
13 > > descriptions to explain the purpose of a group), these (if wanted)
14 > > would have to be defined in another file.
15 >
16 > A description could be provided in the same file, by allowing
17 > comments.
18
19 Hmm, that's an option I hadn't considered yet, though means we can't
20 use grablist() for parsing :( [not a big issue though]
21
22 > > The alternative would be to use a
23 > > more complex file format, for example so called ini-style
24 > >
25 > > [groupname]
26 > > licenses=license1 license2 ... licenseN
27 > > description=Sample license group
28 > > constains_stupid_licenses=1
29 >
30 > Something like contains_stupid_licenses (even in an objective form)
31 > could be handled differently: a STUPID_LICENSES group, so that
32 > ACCEPT_LICENSE can contain "@GROUP1 @GROUP2 -@STUPID_LICENSES". Do you
33 > have an example of metadata other than the description that cannot be
34 > dealt with another way?
35
36 Not at this time, that's why I invented this one (it's completely made
37 up by me with no meaning whatsoever, just in case anybody wonders what
38 it might be supposed to do).
39 However as this is rather new territory I'm not sure if we should limit
40 ourselves to one metadata value at this time.
41
42 Marius
47 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
48 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list