From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] USE_EXPAND variable to choose ALSA PCM plugins
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:17:36
1 On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:09, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > As you can see, the modified ebuild I'm currently using also has two more
3 > useflags, midi and alisp: the first disable all the support for sequencer,
4 > rawmidi, instrumentation and samples loading, I think that nowadays most of
5 > the people simply don't care about that it so it might be worth having it
6 > as useflag (SuSE seems to disable at least sampleloading), while the latter
7 > disables alisp interpreter for advanced (and complex) configuration (SuSE
8 > also disable this).
9 I'm probably going to add these changes as a masked -r1 (even for following
10 versions of alsa-lib for a while), as there are a couple of problems:
11
12 - alsa-lib depends internally on rawmidi to be enable it seems, till that's
13 cleared (either upstream or if I get enough time to work on it), rawmidi
14 cannot be disabled;
15 - at least one package (k3b) checked for the presence of one of the seq
16 functions to enable ALSA, which then failed with midi disabled; I've fixed
17 this upstream (thanks to Sebastian Trüg who's always responsive), and I'll
18 apply it to 1.0_rc2 ebuild when I commit the modified alsa-lib, but more
19 programs can have similar errors, so it needs a throughout testing before
20 going live.
21
22 I'll also see to add some warnings if the user tries to disable the plugins
23 that are most commonly needed (like ioplug, dmix or iec958).
26 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
27 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...